Gnuplot Generates Display Error When Generating PNG
Andy
2007-07-20 18:53:21 UTC
Here is my script (Gnuplot4.2, Debian Sarge):

set terminal png nocrop enhanced size 420,320
set output "graph.png"
set title "Measurements"
set view map
rgb(r,g,b) = int(r)*65536 + int(g)*256 + int(b)
splot "data" using 1:2:(0):3:(rgb($1,$2,0)) with points pt 7 ps
variable lc rgb variable

Here is some sample data:

10 20 3
4 6 7

When I run this on my headless server I get the following error and no
graph is generated:

gnuplot: unable to open display ''
gnuplot: X11 aborted.

So I did:

export DISPLAY = 0:0

Now gnuplot will generate the graph, but about 5 seconds later it
prints to stdout:

gnuplot: unable to open display '0:0'
gnuplot: X11 aborted.

How can I tell gnuplot that I don't want to use the display and just
generate a PNG file?

thanks, Andy
Ethan Merritt
2007-07-20 19:24:20 UTC
Post by Andy
When I run this on my headless server I get the following error and no
gnuplot: unable to open display ''
gnuplot: X11 aborted.
Heh. Another bug fix that will be in the incremental 4.2.1
The bug is that on linux systems the default terminal is X11,
regardless of whether you actually have x11 installed.

To fix it permanently, set an environmental variable on this
machine to change the default terminal to something else.
For example:

tcsh:
setenv GNUTERM dumb
bash:
export GNUTERM=dumb
Ethan A Merritt
Andy
2007-07-20 19:44:45 UTC
Post by Ethan Merritt
To fix it permanently, set an environmental variable on this
machine to change the default terminal to something else.
setenv GNUTERM dumb
export GNUTERM=dumb
Worked like a charm! Once again, may thanks for your FAST help!

Andy
priyanshi singhal
2022-07-26 19:51:31 UTC
Post by Andy
Post by Ethan Merritt
To fix it permanently, set an environmental variable on this
machine to change the default terminal to something else.
setenv GNUTERM dumb
export GNUTERM=dumb
Worked like a charm! Once again, may thanks for your FAST help!
Andy
Yes it worked ! Thanks.