Newb question
David Partridge
2021-09-07 11:04:44 UTC
I tried to find this out from the "friendly manual", but failed - too overwhelmed by information.

I want GNUPlot to process a CSV whose 1st record provides "metadata" about the remainder of the data in the file (test conditions to be added as annotations to the plot).

Is this easy to do? If so a pointer to a working example or tutorial for this would be hugely helpful.

Thanks
David
Olaf Schultz
2021-09-07 11:51:36 UTC
Post by David Partridge
I tried to find this out from the "friendly manual", but failed - too overwhelmed by information.
I want GNUPlot to process a CSV whose 1st record provides "metadata" about the remainder of the data in the file (test conditions to be added as annotations to the plot).
Is this easy to do? If so a pointer to a working example or tutorial for this would be hugely helpful.
Thanks
David
Moin, perhaps

try it with "with labels"

http://gnuplot.sourceforge.net/demo/

espacially

http://gnuplot.sourceforge.net/demo/datastrings.html

is a good hint for you.

Greetings,

Olaf
David Partridge
2021-09-08 08:11:58 UTC
Post by Olaf Schultz
Post by David Partridge
I tried to find this out from the "friendly manual", but failed - too overwhelmed by information.
I want GNUPlot to process a CSV whose 1st record provides "metadata" about the remainder of the data in the file (test conditions to be added as annotations to the plot).
Is this easy to do? If so a pointer to a working example or tutorial for this would be hugely helpful.
Thanks
David
Moin, perhaps
try it with "with labels"
http://gnuplot.sourceforge.net/demo/
espacially
http://gnuplot.sourceforge.net/demo/datastrings.html
is a good hint for you.
Greetings,
Olaf
Not really as there wasn't any explanation of what was happening. Lets try this with a different approach. What if the first record is a comment line and therefore csv metadata.

Is there a way to get GNUPlot to display that comment line as a caption?

D.
Jörg Buchholz
2021-09-09 07:51:37 UTC
Post by David Partridge
Post by Olaf Schultz
Post by David Partridge
[...]
Hi David

as a example, if your datafile is something like this and named "data.dat":

This is the title
1 2
1 3
1 4
1 5
2 1

Than you can do the following and you have a plot with "This is the
title" as the title.

set datafile separator ";"
set term unknow
plot 'data.dat' every ::0::0 using (textVar=stringcolumn(1),0)
set title textVar
set datafile separator whitespace
set term qt
plot 'data.dat' skip 1 u 1:2