Warnings
db
2023-07-13 13:43:56 UTC
When I run a script that runs gnupplot on my Linux system, I get
these warnings:

~/rect2> ./plotfit
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
LANGUAGE = "",
LC_ALL = (unset),
LANG = "da_DK.UTF-8"

What should I do to fix this, or should I do anything?
The script then does its job, so these are not errors.
Dieter Britz
Hans-Bernhard Bröker
2023-07-13 18:10:50 UTC
Post by db
When I run a script that runs gnupplot on my Linux system, I get
~/rect2> ./plotfit
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
        LANGUAGE = "",
        LC_ALL = (unset),
        LANG = "da_DK.UTF-8"
What should I do to fix this, or should I do anything?
The script then does its job, so these are not errors.
I don't believe that this has anything to do with the fact that this
script uses gnuplot. Those are messages from _perl_, not from gnuplot.
db
2023-07-14 07:27:56 UTC
Post by Hans-Bernhard Bröker
Post by db
When I run a script that runs gnupplot on my Linux system, I get
~/rect2> ./plotfit
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
         LANGUAGE = "",
         LC_ALL = (unset),
         LANG = "da_DK.UTF-8"
What should I do to fix this, or should I do anything?
The script then does its job, so these are not errors.
I don't believe that this has anything to do with the fact that this
script uses gnuplot.  Those are messages from _perl_, not from gnuplot.
But I only get these when running a gnuplot script, otherwise not.
Dieter Britz
Hans-Bernhard Bröker
2023-07-14 15:49:46 UTC
Post by db
When I run a script that runs gnupplot on my Linux system, I get
~/rect2> ./plotfit
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
         LANGUAGE = "",
         LC_ALL = (unset),
         LANG = "da_DK.UTF-8"
What should I do to fix this, or should I do anything?
The script then does its job, so these are not errors.
I don't believe that this has anything to do with the fact that this
script uses gnuplot.  Those are messages from _perl_, not from gnuplot.
But I only get these when running a gnuplot script, otherwise not.
You're getting them from the _perl_ engine, while running a _Perl_
script. That script may also eventually be running gnuplot, sure. But
that's quite evidently not where the messages are coming from.

The only persons who have any chance of debugging this are those which
can at least look at that script. Right now, that set of people has
exactly one element: you.
db
2023-07-15 09:46:59 UTC
Post by db
[...]
OK. I found out that if I start with
set term postscript
then I get no warnings. I do get one when I add eps.

I will have to learn how to set something in locale. Not easy (for me).
--
Dieter Britz