Maths symbols
db
2023-01-17 16:04:38 UTC
What is the best way to get maths symbols in gnuplot? I currently
want the square root symbol. \sqrt{..} doesn't work.
Dieter Britz
Hans-Bernhard Bröker
2023-01-17 20:01:48 UTC
Post by db
What is the best way to get maths symbols in gnuplot? I currently
want the square root symbol. \sqrt{..} doesn't work.
There cannot be a single "best" way like that. The variety of output
formats is a good deal to big for that.

\sqrt could work just fine if your output is TeX-based. Other formats
may fare better with literal sqrt characters in the command, e.g. using
UTF-8 input and text storage methods.
Jörg Buchholz
2023-01-18 06:16:48 UTC
Post by db
What is the best way to get maths symbols in gnuplot? I currently
want the square root symbol. \sqrt{..} doesn't work.
There cannot be a single "best" way like that.  The variety of output
formats is a good deal to big for that.
\sqrt could work just fine if your output is TeX-based.  Other formats
may fare better with literal sqrt characters in the command, e.g. using
UTF-8 input and text storage methods.
from gnuplot 5.4 up you can use the direct unicode input.

<https://gnuplot.sourceforge.net/demo_5.4/unicode.html>

set label '\U+221A'

Jörg
db
2023-01-25 13:50:39 UTC
Post by db
What is the best way to get maths symbols in gnuplot? I currently
want the square root symbol. \sqrt{..} doesn't work.
After some fiddling I arrived at this:

set xlabel '{/Symbol=32 1/\326 T}'

It sort of works but can I get the T closer in under the sqrt?
I.e. is there a negative spacer, like \! in laTeX?
Dieter Britz
Jörg Buchholz
2023-01-26 06:20:47 UTC
Post by db
Post by db
What is the best way to get maths symbols in gnuplot? I currently
want the square root symbol. \sqrt{..} doesn't work.
set xlabel '{/Symbol=32 1/\326 T}'
It sort of works  but can I get the T closer in under the sqrt?
I.e. is there a negative spacer, like \! in laTeX?
put the T in {}

set xlabel '{/Symbol=32 1/\326{T}}'

Jörg
db
2023-01-27 12:05:26 UTC
Post by Jörg Buchholz
Post by db
Post by db
What is the best way to get maths symbols in gnuplot? I currently
want the square root symbol. \sqrt{..} doesn't work.
set xlabel '{/Symbol=32 1/\326 T}'
It sort of works  but can I get the T closer in under the sqrt?
I.e. is there a negative spacer, like \! in laTeX?
put the T in {}
set xlabel '{/Symbol=32 1/\326{T}}'
Jörg
Thank you!